This Sweet Potato Walnut Bread is very festive – almost too festive for the Fall 😉 Although some might assume that this bread is very sweet, it actually is not. We used molasses in this recipe to make the bread moist, but also to not overly sweeten the bread. It has a perfect amount of natural sweetness, but for those who have a sweet tooth – the powdered sugar gives it that little extra sugariness that you are looking for!
Our favorite part of this bread is the blend of spices that we used – cinnamon, cloves & nutmeg. Perhaps, it’s the spices in this recipe that makes it very festive, and we are all-in! It is never too early to be festive for the Fall & Winter 🙂
Also, it is important to roast your walnuts with some coconut oil either on the stove or in your oven. It just adds a special flavor that you won’t get if you put them in raw. You can use other nuts if you prefer, but walnuts paired the best with the other ingredients to us!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the #recipe below!
Sweet Potato Walnut Bread
- 2 tbs of ground flaxseed
- 2 tbs of sugar
- 2 tbs of molasses
- 1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp of cloves
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups of mashed sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup of roasted walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix flaxseeds with 1/3 cup of water. Place on the side and wait around 5 minutes. Stir to assure well mixed.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Gently add in oil, almond milk, flaxseed egg, mashed sweet potato, molasses and vanilla extract.
- Once well mixed, fold in the roasted walnuts.
- Bake for about an 45 mins – 1 hour. Let the sweet potato walnut bread cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
- Enjoy 🙂