Both of us love having brunch over the weekend! It is a time where we just get together, cook and spend quality time. This Sunday, we decided to switch it up and make one of our favorite brunch items: tofu scramble. We were able to find vegan pita bread in our area, which prompted us to make something that went with the pita bread for brunch.
The best part about this Tofu Scramble is how quick and easy it is to make. You can wip this up in the kitchen with whatever fresh veggies you want to use! Feel free to go off script and venture out of the recipe below. This is the best part of home cooking: the freedom to be creative and think outside the box.
The spices that we added are the secret weapon to taking this meal to the next level! They provide earthiness, spiciness, and richness that this Tofu Scramble deserves. The turmeric specifically lends its golden color to the tofu scramble, which makes it that much more appetizing. We also added fresh lemon juice to include some acidity and tanginess.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the recipe below!
Spiced Tofu Scramble
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- 1 large of tomato diced
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Pre-heat pan with olive oil on medium-low temperature.
- Dice the tomato and onion.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes
- While the onion is cooking, break the tofu into chunks with your hands to resemble scrambled eggs.
- Add tomato to the pan and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add cayenne, cumin, & turmeric and stir.
- Add the scrambled tofu and lemon juice, and stir.
- Add salt & pepper
- Cook for about 5 – 10 minutes – depending on how dry you want it.
- Enjoy with vegan pita bread, some crackers or by itself 🙂