When you find a recipe that is suited for all seasons, you make sure you keep it close by so you never forget about it! We’re sharing with you one of our go-to recipes that is quick and good for all weather types! Isn’t that practical? What’s even better is that this recipe requires nothing but using the slow-cooker and waiting for your delicious meal to cook to perfection.
Our Slow-Cooked Colombian Style Beans are a staple in our household. In Hispanic countries, their cuisines consists of beans all year around, hence our obsession with making beans & rice. There are so many different ways to make beans, but today we’re featuring the Colombian way of preparing our “frijoles”.
Whenever we can use the slow-cooked, we take advantage! It’s perfect for the weekends when you want to spend your time out of the kitchen and into the warm weather or (if you’re like us) studying for upcoming quizzes and exams. It’s a great way to get some time back without sacrificing spending money outside on food or not preparing a healthy well-balanced meal. So, what are you waiting for? Try the recipe now! 🙂
Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the #recipe below!
Slow-Cooked Colombian Style Beans
- 3 cups of kidney beans germinated 8 hrs to overnight
- 7 cups of water
- 2 tbs of cooking oil
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 medium sized potatoes cut in quarters
- 3 carrots chopped in chunks
- 1/2 tsp of cumin
- 2 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Once your beans are soaked overnight, rinse your beans well.
- Add the beans, water, cooking oil and bay leaves in a slow cooker on high.
- After 3 hours in the slow cooker, add potatoes, carrots, cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, and salt/pepper.
- Cook for another 4 hours.
- Enjoy with some cooked rice 🙂