This time of the year is our favorite time to cook – holiday flavors are finally back! If you haven’t guessed so already, pumpkin is a staple in our household during the holidays! So, we try to incorporate it into to recipes to give it the extra holiday feels 😉 We decided to spice it up (no pun intended haha) this weekend with our Pumpkin Spice Buns!
We love creating recipes that get you excited for the many celebrations around the corner. This recipe is definitely gets you in the mood from the aromas of the pumpkin spice buns baking, to the sweetness of the white icing! These Pumpkin Spice Buns have HOLIDAYS written all over them – you cannot go wrong!
We wanna hear from you all – what do you want us to make for the holidays? What are your staple dishes that you make every year? 🙂
If you try this recipe, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #LivinVegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the #recipe below!
Pumpkin Spice Buns
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp of apple cider
- 2 3/4 cups of organic wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbs of pumpkin pie spice
- 4 tbs of cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbs of melted vegan butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbs of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup of cane sugar
- 2 tbs of melted vegan butter
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Water See Instructions
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl mixing bowl, add almond milk and apple cider. Mix and let it rest for 15 minutes. The mixture will break and that’s okay! 🙂
- In a larger bowl, sift the flour, and add the pumpkin pie spice, sugar, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.
- After the 15 minutes have passed, add the melted vegan butter to the wet mixture and mix until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the larger mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- If the dough that is starting to form looks too wet, feel free to add a little more flour.
- Sprinkle some flour where you are going to roll out the dough, and roll the dough out until the thickness is evenly around a little less than half an inch. Try to roll out the dough to make a rectangular shape.
- Now for the filling, spread the melted vegan butter on the dough.
- Combine the sugar and the pumpkin pie spice, and then sprinkle the mixture evenly all over the dough by covering it all.
- Roll the dough, but not too tight as we want the rolls to expand in the oven.
- Cut the end of the roll of dough off, and start cutting each roll of a size of 1 inch and 1/2.
- Place the rolls in the baking sheet or pan. TIP: To make sure the rolls expand, make sure the layers are open and not stuck together before entering the oven.
- Bake for about 18 mins or until golden brown.
- While the buns are baking, in a mixing bowl, add icing sugar and vanilla extract. Slowly add water to make sure a nice thick consistency is achieved. Do not add too much water as it might be too runny.
- Once the buns are out of the oven, evenly pour the icing on top.
- Enjoy 🙂