Let’s face it, the most common misconception about being plant-based is that we are not getting enough protein. Well, we are here not only to bust that myth, but also to share some easy creative ways to get your protein in for the day. There are so many secret ingredients that can offer ample amount of protein to live a healthy and balanced diet!
Jumping right in, our Easy Vegan Falafel recipe’s star ingredient is chickpeas, which are one of the highest plant-based sources of protein! They are filling, but better yet they are super versatile and yummy. You can prepare them warm or cold, with rice or quinoa, roasted in the oven or food processed into a delicious hummus. Chickpeas have so much to offer, and one should never underestimate them! At Livin’ La Vegan Life, we pride ourselves in making cultural, easy, and delicious recipes. This Easy Vegan Falafel recipe is no exception! Paired with our Homemade Dill Yogurt Sauce, the chickpeas are roughly processed in order to bind the falafels together with the perfect blend of spices. You can decide to eat the falafels on top of your favorite salad, or wrapped with some toasted pita bread and your favorite veggies!
Another way to get the most protein in your diet is by including soy products such as tofu. The trick with tofu is to make sure that the seasoning and marinate is to perfection, since tofu comes with no flavor at all. Soy products have the highest protein content for a plant-based diet. However, tofu alone is not sufficient – it is super important to diversify the ingredients in your diet to get a proper and balanced amount of nutrients. Our Tofu Baked Sushirittos have the right amount of everything to assure the maximum amount of yumminess (and protein!). Feel free to add whatever veggies you gravitate to most! We also included some dark leafy greens like spinach for some extra plant protein. Plants have so much to offer, and you can always find them in our kitchen!
Last, but certainly not least, our Hearty Lemon Quinoa Stew is not here to play! It is packed with 2 key ingredients: quinoa and kidney beans. Quinoa is a beautiful high-protein grain that is also a complete protein, which makes this a staple in our protein rotation during the week. The great thing about quinoa is that you can eat it cold during the hot summer days in a salad or warm in a stew during the winter days! It can replace rice and other grains in other recipes that leaves you satisfied without any bloating! Kidney beans, and beans in general, are another great way to diversify the protein in your diet. They add a lot of flavor to the stew and give you an extra texture that is super comforting!
The key to enjoying a plant-based diet is exploring new ingredients, and not obsessing over protein or nutrient amounts! Switch it up and live with a balanced diet that has room for many sources of protein. Livin’ La Vegan Life loves to stay creative with recipes, and create food that is always enjoyable. There is always a way to include protein in our diets, we just have to open our eyes to the endless amount of nutrition our plant-based ingredients have to offer!
If you try these recipes, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the #recipes below!
Hearty Lemon Quinoa Stew
- 1 medium sized onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 4 tbs tomato paste
- 1 can kidney beans rinsed & drained
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/1 tsp cumin
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 cups spinach
- In a medium-sized pot, add garlic and onions with cooking oil of choice on medium heat. Cook until golden or onions are caramelized.
- Once the garlic and onions are ready, add the liquids, quinoa, tomato paste, kidney beans, herbs/spices and lemon jucie. Stir well.
- Cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook for another 7 minutes. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- Let the stew simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and slowly stir in the spinach.
- Enjoy 🙂
Tofu Baked Sushirittos
- 14 oz extra-firm tofu
- 2 tbs liquid aminos
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs chili garlic paste
- 3 tbs water
- 2 cups sushi rice cooked
- 3 tbs water
- 1 large cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 4 sushi nori wraps
- *Drain the tofu by placing a heavy object on top for an hour. We recommend doing it overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add all marinate ingredients and mix well.
- Thinly slice the tofu into rectangles sticks and place in the marinate. Let the tofu marinate for 2 hours, cover and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F and prepare baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, add your tofu and bake for 10 minutes on each side at 350 F.
- **Set a square of plastic wrap on a clean surface with a nori wrap.
- Place 2-3 tbs of cooked sushi rice in the center of the the nori wrap, and slowly spread it evenly leaving 1 inch around the edges.
- Place all your veggies and your tofu along the nori wrap.
- ***On a separate piece of plastic wrap, place another 2-3 tbs of cooked sushi rice and spread it evenly. Place it directly on top of the nori wrap.
- Take each corner of the nori wrap with the plastic wrap and bring it to the middle to create a square. The plastic wrap helps it stay together.
- Cut the sushi square in half to make two sushirittos.
- Enjoy 🙂
Easy Vegan Falafels
- 2 cans chickpeas drained
- 2 cups parsley
- 1 cup cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tbs flour
- Add chickpeas, parsley, cilantro, garlic, cumin, turmeric and salt/pepper to a food processor. Pulse until combined, but not into a paste consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, add mixture and flour. Mix well.
- From the mixture, form 10 balls and flatten them into little falafel patties.
- In a hot pan with cooking oil, fry each falafel on both sides for about 5 minutes or golden on each side.
- Serve in a pita with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers and some Dill Yogurt Sauce!