Cheese and bread… how could you go wrong? This recipe is the definition of comfort food. Although we do not use non-dairy cheese in our diet often, it is definitely a good “one in a while” ingredient to satisfy any cravings. We love using the mozzarella style shredded cheese, as it melts and tastes perfectly!
Let’s not forget about the aroma as soon as you break one of the calzones’ in half… a fresh aroma of herbs and cheese fills the air. There’s nothing like perfuming the house with a deliciously home cooked meal. It gives you the most comforting feeling with an eager to dig in as soon as possible!
To elevate the calzones, enjoy them with a side of marinara sauce or your favorite tomato sauce! The tomatoes compliment the cheese and the spinach to make this recipe so much more delicious. What is your favorite sauce to enjoy your homemade calzones?
If you try this recipe, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the #recipe below!
Easy Spinach Cheesy Calzones
- 7 oz of tofu drained overnight or 2-3 hours
- 2 1/2 cups spinach
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 cups non-dairy shredded cheese mozzarella style
- In a food processor, pulse the tofu, spinach, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, nutritional yeast and salt to taste. Pulse until well combined.
- In a mixing bowl, add your mixture from the food processor to the bowl. Mix in peas and cheese until well combined.
- For the dough, you can follow the dough recipe from our Cast Iron Cheesy Pizza or you can also buy already made pizza dough (1 lb) – just make sure that you thaw it out before using.
- Cut the dough in 4-5 equal parts – if you are using our pizza dough recipe. If not, cut the dough in equal parts to make the calzones.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 F
- Roll out the parts into a think circular, and dust some flour if it is too wet/moist.
- Place the filling on one half of the dough, and seal the calzone in half.
- Fold the boarder of the dough to create a beautiful crust.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and place all calzones on a baking sheet with enough distance between them.
- Brush with olive oil or non-dairy milk on the calzones to give them a golden look.
- Bake the calzones for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the calzones cool off before serving!
- Enjoy with your favorite marinara sauce 🙂