Nothing like the sweet aroma of baked cinnamon apples filling the house! Baking is one our favorite things to do, even though it can be very challenging. Besides having a sweet tooth, vegan baking is a challenge that we love to tackle head on – especially when we win! After a few attempts, these Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies came out of the oven just perfect for your friends and family!
We decided to add a little tip when baking baked goods that need a little extra golden touch and feeling. For our hand pies, we decided to brush each hand pie with non-dairy milk, in our case almond milk, in order to make sure they did not look pale – we definitely wanted them to have that beautiful golden glow! It just makes them that much more appetizing and it does not take more than just a few minutes.
Not a fan of apples and cinnamon? You can definitely switch up the flavor to whatever fruit is in season! Feel free to make it your own and stick with the dough recipe!
If you try this recipe, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram!
Check out the #recipe below!
Cinnamon Apple Hand Pies
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 4 tbs of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 cup of unsalted vegan butter chopped and cold
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- 2 apples peeled and chopped
- 4 tbs of sugar
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of cloves
- In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients. Mix well.
- *Add the butter to the the dry ingredients and start hand mixing the dough.
- Slowly add in the cold water. Hand mix well; dough should be a little sticky.
- Cover your bowl with a clean kitchen towel and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Once the dough is ready, cut your dough in half.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- With a rolling pin, roll your dough out till it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- With a circular cookie cutter, cut out your circles and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add 2 tbs of filling in the middle of one of the circles.
- Place another circle on top and with a fork close off the edges of the hand pie.
- Optional: Brush a little non-dairy milk on the hand pies.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 350 F.
- Let the hand pies cool and enjoy 🙂
- Peel and chop & cube your apples.
- In a mixing bowl, mix your apples, cinnamon, and sugar.