Nothing sounds better than coconut rice in a coconut bowl! This latin-inspired dish will take you to the beautiful coasts of South America.
Although coconut rice is common throughout Latin American countries, the way Colombians prepare their rice is unique as we always add raisins. It adds sweetness and a beautiful pop of color. In Colombia, coconut rice is a weekend meal that is typically served with fried fish and patacones, which creates the perfect balance of sweetness, crunchiness, and saltiness with every bite!
To make this meal vegan, we decided to use tofu as a replacement for the fish that is usually accompanied by the coconut rice. The tofu was marinated with lime juice, soy sauce, and chili and sesame oil. It was honestly the perfect replacement for that dish that I grew up eating in Colombia – so many cherishable memories!
FYI: Patacones (or tostones) are a delicious snack or side to any meal. It is a traditional Latin American food that involves frying green plantains. They are D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. Make them for a quick snack at work or for an appetizer when friends come over for dinner. Patacones are addictive – trust us 😉 You can easily find green plantains in your local grocery market.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the recipe below!
Chili Lime Infused Tofu w/ Coconut Rice and Patacones
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 coconut
- 5 tbs of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup of raisins
- 14 oz of tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tbs of sesame oil
- 1 tbs of chili oil
- 3 tbs of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- Lime juice of 1 lime
- 2 green plantains cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 cup of cooking oil
- Salt/pepper for taste
- Get the meat from one coconut.
- Place the meat in the blender with water. Pulse for about 5-10 minutes.
- Strain for the coconut milk – you should get about 4 cups of coconut milk.
- In a pot, boil the coconut milk with sugar, salt, and garlic.
- While the coconut milk is boiling, rinse 2 cups of rice.
- Once the coconut milk is boiled, add the rice to the pot. Lower the heat so that it doesn’t burn.
- Depending on the rice, cook for about 10-20 minutes. We used basmati rice, which is quicker.
- Optional: Once the rice is cooked, add raisins.
- Enjoy it 🙂
- Cut the tofu into bit-sized cubes
- Mix all the ingredients and let the tofu soak. Mix gently until the tofu is fully covered.
- Cover the bowl and let them marinate for a couple of hours or overnight. Every so often mix gently to make sure all the cubes of tofu are being soaked.
- After the tofu is done marinating, drain it. Place on the tofu on a baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown at 350 degrees F.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Enjoy it 🙂
- Cut the green plantain into pieces of 1/2 inch
- Fry the pieces of plantain in a pan with vegetable oil for about 5-10 minutes. This will help loose their starchiness.
- Remove the pieces of plantain from the vegetable oil.
- With a flat surface, press and flatten the pieces of plantain.
- Fry the flat pieces of plantain in the same pan. Cook for another 5-10 minutes until golden.
- Add salt/pepper.
- Enjoy it 🙂