Summer is about to officially be here next week, so we wanted to make sure that you had at least one Summer plant-based burger recipe to kick it off! Our Bigger & Batter Portobello Burger is here to celebrate the warmer weather. There is nothing better (or batter) than making your own homemade batter to season your food. This recipe is no exception – the batter is takes this burger to a whole new level. And it’s simple… coat your portobello mushrooms and start cooking! Yes… it’s that easy!
If you have access to an outside grill, definitely try cooking these burgers on the grill. It will definitely give the burgers a different more BBQ like taste, which is amazingly delicious! Take advantage of the grill and throw some pineapple or peaches for a sweet side to the meal. However, this time, we went traditional with our crunchy sweet potato fries! How can you go wrong with that? Right?
If you try this recipe, personalize it by adding your own toppings! We have to say that our new favorite topping is mashed avocado!! It’s so good and really compliments this recipe. It adds a fresh and creamy component to each bite. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!
Feel free to ask questions, write comments, and use our hashtag #livinvegan on Instagram! We love to hear from you all!
Check out the #recipe below!
Bigger & Batter Portobello Burger
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2 tsp of dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp of dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne
- 3/4 cup of non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Rinse your portobello mushrooms well and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your dry batter ingredients first and mix well. TIP: Sift your flour to make sure that there are no clumps! 🙂
- Add your wet batter ingredients. Mix well.
- Properly coat each of your portobello mushrooms in the batter.
- In a hot pan on medium heat, add your cooking oil and your coated portobello. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until portobello is ready!
- Serve with a side of sweet potato fries and our Watermelon Basil Agua Fresca!
- Enjoy 🙂